The Roads in Belize
Belize has a network of roads consisting of over 1,900 miles (3,000 kilometres) of which approximately 357 miles (575 kilometres) is paved. There are five major paved roads with two lanes. These are:
• Philip Goldson Highway (formerly known as the Northern Highway) which goes between Belize City and just north of Corozal and the Mexico border. It’s approximately 95 miles (153 kilometres).
• George Price Highway (formerly known as the Western Highway) which goes between Belize City and Benque Viejo del Carmen near Guatemala. It’s approximately 81 miles (130 kilometres).
• Hummingbird Highway which goes from Belmopan to Dangriga. It’s approximately 55 miles (89 kilometres).
• Southern Highway which goes from Dangriga to Punta Gorda.
• Coastal Highway (also known as the Manatee Highway or the Shortcut) which joins the Western Highway 30 miles (48 kilometres) west of Belize City with the Stann Creek Valley, not far from Dangriga. However, this road is completely graveled and unpaved.
Driving in Belize
There are also roads other than the highways mentioned above, with only one or two lanes, usually unpaved, and at times filled with sand or gravel. If your destination is remote or off-the-main-road, a four-wheel drive vehicle is highly recommended. When driving in Belize, a valid driver’s license from your home country is required. You’ll also have occasional police check points near major towns where you may be asked to provide all legal documents and proof of required liability insurance. Gas stations are easily accessible, especially close to the larger towns. If needed, mechanics may be found in Belize City, San Ignacio, Belmopan, and Orange Walk. Traffic is usually light on the highways and if there are slower vehicles, passing shouldn’t be a problem.
Driving is on the right side of the road with speed limits on the highway at 55 mph (90 km/h). The speed limit is usually between 25-40 mph (40-65 km/h) within towns and villages. Always wear your seatbelt as it’s required. All mileposts, road signs, and distances are displayed in miles.
Rent your car from Barefoot Rentals and Services, Belize’s premier car rental company based in Placencia, southern Belize. At Barefoot, you’ll find affordable rates with excellent service and a wide variety of rentals such as scooters, golf carts, SUV’s, and dirt bikes.
We will also be happy to arrange a private charter or transfer to anywhere in Belize from Placencia.
Contact us today to learn more about our car rental services, available tours, and airport transfers and shuttles!