Actun Tunichil Muknal Tour (ATM Cave)
$195 per person
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave was rated by the Discovery Channel as the number one Sacred Cave in the world. Only accessible by swimming across a spring-fed pool, ATM contains hundreds of relics which have laid undisturbed for more than a millennia. At the far end of the cave lie the bones of more than a dozen men, women, and children who were ritually slaughtered by the ancient Maya.
What to Wear
Cool comfortable jungle attire for this subtropical climate.
What to Bring
An adventurous mindset, bug repellant, sun block, your medication, comfortable and well-threaded shoes, a pair of socks and a change of clothing for after water activities.
Questions about this tour? Send us an email or call +(501) 523-3066. We will love to help you plan your Belize tours and activities.
US $195 per person + 12.5% tax
Transportation, tour guide and gear, park fees, lunch, bottled water and towels.
Departs: 6:00 AM
Returns: 5:30 PM
RT travel time: 5 hours
Officially called Actun Tunichil Muknal, the ATM Cave is a series of underground spaces measuring several kilometers long that were once used by the ancient Maya for a variety of ceremonial and religious purposes. Today, the ATM cave system is reached by hiking across a series of streams and then climbing, swimming and making your way deep into the caverns to clamber up to a raised area that contains ceramics, stoneware and ritual objects left behind by Maya priests. The most popular attraction at the ATM Cave is the complete remains of a young woman who was sacrificed in the cave. Over the centuries, her bones started to crystallize, giving her body a shimmering appearance that earned her the nickname of the Crystal Maiden.
Exploring the ATM Cave is restricted to individuals who are in good health as visitors will have to both climb rocky surfaces as well as swim across deep water to reach the where Maya artifacts can be viewed.
TOUR RESERVATION POLICY:
– 50% deposit is collected.
– Remaining payment is due 7 days prior to service begin date.
– For services that are required within 7 days, full payment is required at booking.
– Barefoot Services reserves the right to collect reservation deposit at any time.
TOUR CANCELLATION POLICY:
– 75% of the total service cost will be granted as a refund if written cancellation is received more than 7 days prior to service begin date.
– There is no refund if written cancellation is received 7 days or less prior to service begin date.
– Barefoot Services does not accept responsibility or assume any liability for failure to provide services due to delays or changes by airline et.al, illness, weather or any act to which we have no control over. We highly recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
Special Note: There is no refund if written cancellation is received 14 days or less prior to service begin date in the peak times of Dec 20-Jan 5 and Easter break.